UK Sausage Week kicks off next week – Monday 30th October – and butchers, manufacturers and retailers are being reminded of the numerous way to get involved.
Six UK Sausage Week business tips:
• Display the UK Sausage Week poster and label your products with the logo: The campaign’s official poster and logos can be downloaded at www.uksausageweek.com
• Make a special delivery to your local radio station: Why not hand-deliver hot sausage sandwiches with your own special sausages to your local radio station? Your sausages might get a mention live on air
• Hold an in-store demonstration, tasting or masterclass: Why not host a sausage making workshop or demonstration class for consumers? Or hold an in-store sausage tasting?
• Make special bangers for Bonfire Night and Halloween: Create some limited edition Banging Bangers for Bonfire Night using explosive ingredients such as hot chilli or produce some Scary Bangers for Halloween – offering a real treat for any Trick or Treaters!
• Offer customers sizzling recipes: The campaign’s organisers have compiled a selection of sausage recipes for caterers, butchers, restaurants and retailers to make use of during the week-long event. The best dishes are available to download as PDFs and print from www.uksausageweek.com/recipes
• Get social with #UKSausageWeek: Spread the word about your sausage products on social media using the hashtag #UKSausageWeek
What’s industry getting up to during the campaign?
Butchers around the country are getting in on the UK Sausage Week action. To mention just a handful of activities: Dales Traditional Butchers is donating 50p from every pack of sausages it sells to its local Girl Guides, Bush Fair Butchers is giving away free samples, Althams Butchers has launched special Gin and Tonic sausage, Higginsons of Grange has launched a special edition Bonfire Sausage, and Haigs Food Hall is running a competition inviting customers to come up with ‘spooktacular flavours’ for a Halloween sausage – with the winner receiving five free packets. The Haigs competition has received more than 90 entries via the butchers’ Facebook page!
Meanwhile, in the foodservice sector, pubs and restaurants are running their own events. One example is The Lock Inn in Wolverly which is offering a special sausage menu.